Monday, June 05, 2006

they call it cafe lux for a reason

New digs, new eateries ...



Cafe Luxembourg, located on 70th St between Amsterdam and whatever street is more westerly of it, has been a gem of a restaurant on the Upper Westside for a good twenty years. They obviously are doing something right. At dinner I had a Wild Mushroom Risotto with Asparagus gratin, Tiger Shrimp with Pasta in a Parmesan Cream sauce, and Blood Orange Sorbet.

Both the risotto and pasta were delicious. I thought the sorbet was too sweet though and detracted from the sophisticated flavor of the blood orange. I often say to my friends about New York restaurants that it takes a lot of excite the jaded New York palate, so one will see a lot of fusion on restaurant menus or there are the restaurants who simply do things very very good.

Cafe Luxembourg falls into the latter category. My only reservation about Cafe Lux is the price range ($25 is average for an dinner entree), but it's now much more conveniently located than Pastis. I'm eager to go again and perhaps try out their brunch menu one of these weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment