Friday, June 09, 2006

trader joe's bonanza

I mentioned to a friend, I had always thought my twenties would be a time where I would be waltzing into Trader Joe's and picking up some tasty chicken tamales from the freezer section for a song, but I ended up living in every city which didn't house this store. However, at long last, Trader Joe's has opened on Manhattan located on 14th St. and 3rd Ave. Here's something I roasted up today from my spoils from TJ's. There's nothing like roasted veggies in the summer.



Roasted Portobello Mushrooms and a Medley of Potatoes

3 large portobello mushroom caps in thick slices
2 lbs of a variety of small potatoes in slices: red ones, purple ones, fingerling ones
3 cloves of garlic
2 t olive oil
1 t salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
3 T of fresh flat leaf parsley
1 oz of soft Spanish goat cheese
1/4 of a lemon

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a large bowl toss the potatoes with all of the ingredients except the goat cheese and lemon juice. Cover a heavy baking tray with aluminum foil. Roast at 400 F for half an hour. Then, crumble goat cheese over the vegetables. Turn up heat to 450 F and roast for another fifteen minutes. Squeeze the lemon over the top of the dish when it's finished.

I have to say that it's hard to wait for potatoes to roast up. I find myself hovering around the stove trying to grab hot pieces of potatoes, and they're excellent as leftovers too ...

No comments:

Post a Comment