Friday, March 20, 2009

Fridays I'm in love ...

Growing up, I only ate sausage in small quantities. I never became a huge fan of those patty style sausages either. In a lot of Asian cuisine, sausage is used more as a complementary aspect of a dish -- like poh piah (a Malaysian dish). Poh piah is comprised of a mass of ultra healthy vegetables wrapped in a fresh rice paper, sprinkled with lots of herbs like green onion and coriander, and then dappled with a few sauteed shrimp and bits of Chinese sausage. I promise to put up a recipe in the near future.

After becoming introduced to Italian delicacies through 'ino in New York, I found the best Italian delicatessen run by Sal at DiPaolo's in Little Italy and Spicy Soppressata is my favorite whether eaten by itself, or accompanied by some hard cheeses and marinated artichokes on a plate of antipasti. They know customer service -- and all the more reason to go there for slices of Parmesan-Reggiano or fresh ricotta for your next New York soiree!

I'm probably going to outrage the Swedish portion of my readers, but I'm not a fan of falukorv (a traditional Swedish sausage). But! I have found an amenable recommendation instead. I love eating this sausage for breakfast -- but then again, I love the piquant taste of spicy sausage even in the morning.



My product highlight of the day is Ugglarp's Cabanossy. I apologize, I did take a picture of the product, and then even went to the official website to try to get a better picture, but the honest truth is that sausage doesn't photograph well.

For Swedes, if you cannot find it in your local grocery store, go ahead and ask the manager if it's possible for them to buy it for the store. Ugglarp uses only meat from Swedish farms. Buy local meat when it's possible!

I'd love to hear other sausage recommendations. In America I'm a fan of chicken apple sausage found at Whole Foods. In our household we are also addicted to lamb sausage but are engaged in a food mystery because the kiosk on the corner offers better lamb sausage than what we can find in the local grocery stores. The mystery continues ...

No comments:

Post a Comment