Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Seaweed (Nori) Scrambled Eggs

O figures that we can live on dried dates until his next paycheck. Oh, the period of abstinence that must come after a period of gluttony. I admit to you, that I ate as many Cuban pulled pork sandwiches as possible, and twice the world's most decadent chocolate bread pudding courtesy of the Dessert Truck (University and 8th 6pm-midnight check website for which dates).

In any case. No, we did not make date pudding for dinner. I made, instead a low maintenance version of the NYTimes published recipe Scrambled Nori Eggs, by Momofuku owner Dave Chang, I believe sans immersion blender.

When in New York, a friend told me that she loved the Kim chi Risotto recipe which she had eaten at least seven times already. I was tickled because I have only made the dish a few times myself! It's nice when a recipe gets legs of its own. Although I was disturbed that google wouldn't call up my recipe when I googled it. *le sigh*. To note, I also throw in shelled boiled edamame (fresh soybeans) into the kim chi risotto as well. I'm hoping this simple dinner recipe will tickle the fancy of Asian-fusion diners.

Anyway, I digress, Asians often eat eggs, usually omelette served on rice for dinner. This is not considered "breakfast for dinner" as it often is with Caucasians, but rather just dinner for dinner.

O called these "Seaweed Eggs" so I guess that's what I'm calling them also.

Ingredients:
3 sheets nori ripped up into salad sized pieces
boiling water (1/2 c less)
3 T Tempura sauce concentrate (or soba noodle sauce you can find this at your local Japanese grocery store ... Japansk Torget on Tegnerg. in Stockholm, and um, Sunrise Mart for New Yorkers)
5 eggs beaten loosely
2 T salted butter (preferably Swedish, but European butter will do, please do not skimp on the butter or use oil, butter really tastes better!)
1/4 t sesame seed oil
toasted sesame seeds

optional: furikake (nori & sesame seed blend)
salt to taste

Rip up nori sheets and place in a bowl, add just enough water to cover the nori and let is soak for awhile and add the tempura sauce concentrate. When the nori mixture has cooled a bit, add in the eggs and beat. Add just a smidgeon of sesame seed oil and salt to taste.

In a pan, melt the butter and scramble the eggs until they are loosely set, my method is constantly scrapping in the edges of the cooked eggs, and then flipping them over when they are mostly set. Sprinkle the scrambled eggs with toasted sesame seeds and furikake and serve over rice. (I prefer Nishikin rice).

Serves 2

Note: I also successfully rewarmed leftovers for lunch today and they were sagoy oishi!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh. This sounds dead tasty. *bookmarks*

    ReplyDelete