Saturday, February 04, 2006

raita of my heart

I was too hungry.


I intended to make some sort of Cuban styled rubbed pork with the pork tenderloin center chops I had bought, but hunger overcame me so I threw together something from a spice rub I already had.

This meal cooks up pretty quickly -- in about 30-40 minutes.

Harissa Rubbed Pork Chop with Red Potato Wedges with Zucchini and Goat Cheese

3 pork chops
3 T harissa* (please figure out how spicy your harissa paste is and increase or decrease accordingly)
2 T olive oil

5 large red potatoes
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t paprika
cracked black pepper
1/4 t salt
1 t olive oil

1/2 small zucchini large diced

2 oz. soft goat cheese

Raita

1/2 c plain yogurt (try to find one without pectin in it)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t crushed cumin seeds
1/2 cucumber small diced
cracked black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F

In a large bowl toss potato wedges and zucchini with salt, cinnamon, paprika, black pepper and olive oil. On a baking pan lay down aluminum foil and put potato and zucchini mixture on the aluminum foil. Crumble goat cheese onto the vegetables. Try not to allow the goat cheese to rest on the foil or pan because it will bake too quickly.

Bake for at least 30 minutes, or for as long as you can bear. The zucchini is usually ready a little before the potatoes, and I would be lying if I didn't say that I didn't stand in front of the oven snatching pieces of zucchini and melted goat cheese to eat.

Prepare the raita by mixing everything in a small bowl.

Combine the harissa paste and olive oil in a bowl and coat the pork chops with the mixture. Sprinkle chops with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

When the potatoes and zucchini are ten minutes away from finishing heat a large skillet to medium high. Do not crowd the chops. Saute for around 8 minutes total. My chops were very thin so they finished up fast. For optimal browning, only flip the chops once.

I guess Carribean tastes will have to wait for my next dish ...

No comments:

Post a Comment